It's been awhile since I've last posted, and this is a pretty late "in review/end of year" post. But here it is anyway.
The end of last year arrived and came by quickly, and with it came a whole slew of new projects. Near the end of 2014, I started a new job as an assistant at an audio post-production facility. Finally at the position that I've worked for since college, I've learned a crazy amount in just the few months that I've been here. I also dialogue edited my first feature, worked on some great animation projects (one of which is doing very successful on the festival circuit), and completed my first 5.1 mix. I saved up a whole lot of cash, and just recently bought a new computer that blows my old MBP out of the water.
With the new year I hope to continue learning and obsessing over sound, recording, editing, sound design, and mixing. A few goals on my mind so far:
- Save up and buy a professional, high quality, field recording kit. This includes a Sound Devices 7-series recorder, a pair of M/S microphones (Sennheiser MKH series), and possibly a shotgun mic.
- Afterwards, start contributing more to the Sound Collectors Club.
- Continue doing all film work in a 5.1 format. Stereo only for smaller projects.
- Save up and buy the few plug-ins I actually use and need.
- Network, network, network.
- Start gaining the trust to run the smaller sessions at work.
- Do something sound related out of the field of post-production audio. Maybe music, maybe game audio?
- Lastly, continue to appreciate the value of friends, family, and loved ones. I know this sounds cliche, but seriously, it's very true.
To 2015, let's hope it's a good one!